Refund Rules on E-Tickets
Cancellation of e-Tickets after the preparation of Reservation Charts:
For Normal User : E-ticket cannot be cancelled after chart preparation across the counter. Users are requested to use the online TDR filing for such cases and track Status of the refund case through tracking service provided by IRCTC. TDR can be filed upto 4 hours before scheduled departure of the train for conﬁrmed tickets and upto 30 minutes before scheduled departure of the train for RAC/Waitlisted tickets. For filing online TDR, select the
''File TDR'' Link in the left panel under the ''My Transactions'' Menu. For additional information regarding TDR, Select the ''File TDR Procedure'' in the left panel under the ''General'' Menu. IRCTC will forward the claim to concerned Railways to process the refund and amount will be credited back to same account through which payment was made after receiving the same from the concerned Railway. For any other clarification please mail to email@example.com
For Agent : IRCTC will file TDR and forward the claim to concerned Railways to process the refund and amount will be credited back to Agents account through which payment was made after receiving the same from the concerned Railway. For any other clarifications please mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancellation of e-tickets:
(1) e-ticket may be booked and cancelled through internet and the refund of fare shall be credited to the customer’s account after deducting the charges
(2) In case of a confirmed e-ticket, refund of fare shall be granted in accordance with rules for unused tickets on which reservation has been made. In
case of RAC e-ticket, refund of fare shall be granted in accordance with rule for unused waitlisted and RAC ticket.
(3) In case of the waitlisted e-ticket on which status of all the passengers is on waiting list even after preparation of reservation charts, names of all such passengers booked on that Passenger Name Record (PNR) shall be dropped from the reservation chart and refund of fare shall becredited to the customer’s account after deducting the clerkage.
(4) In case on a party e-ticket or a family e-ticket issued for travel of more than one person, some persons have confirmed reservation and others are on the list of RAC and waiting list, then in case of passengers on RAC or waitlisted not travelling, a certificate has to be obtained from the ticket checking staff to that effect and refund of fare shall be processed on line through TDR, indicating the details of the certificate issued by ticket checking staff.The on line TDR shall be filed upto 72 hours of actual arrival of the train at passenger’s destination and the original certificate issued by the ticket checking staff is to be sent through post to Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC).The fare shall be refunded by Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) to the customer’s account after due verification.
(5) In case of e-tickets (confirmed or RAC), if the reservation charts have been prepared, online TDR is required to be filed for obtaining refund.
(6) No refund of fare shall be admissible on e-ticket having conﬁrmed reservation in case the ticket is not canceled or TDR not filed online upto 4
hours before the scheduled departure of the train.
(7) No refund of fare shall be admissible on RAC e-tickets in case the request for refund is filed online less than 30 minutes before the scheduled
departure of the train.
(8) In other circumstances such as ,(i) Late running of trains by more than 3 hours, (ii) Inability of ralways to provide accommodation to reserved passengers, (iii) Dislocation of train services due to accidents, breaches or floods, Bandh, Rail roko etc., (iv) Airconditioning failure, and (v) Lower class travel, refund on e-tickets shall be admissible within the prescribed time limits subject to filing of online TDR. Wherever a certificate from ticket checking staff is required the passenger shall obtain the same to that effect whereupon refund of fare shall be processed online through TDR, indicating the details of said certificate and the original certificate shall be sent through post to IRCTC. The fare due shall be refunded by IRCTC to the customer's account after due verification
For Tatkal Tickets Booked as e-Tickets :
In case of party Tatkal Ticket or family Tatkal Ticket (for more than one person) some confirmed on others on waiting list, full refund of fare less clerkage shall be granted for the confirmed passengers also if the entire Tatkal Ticket is surrendered for cancellation upto 4 hours before the scheduled departure and upto 30 minutes of the actual departure of the train.
No refund will be granted on cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets. For contingent cancellation and waitlisted Tatkal ticket cancellations, charges
will be deducted as per existing Railway rules.
Cancellation of e-tickets in case of trains cancelled :
If the train is marked as "CANCELLED" in Passenger Reservation System (PRS) due to breaches, floods, accidents etc., Automatic refund of confirmed / RAC 'E" ticket will be granted similar to waitlisted "e" tickets. There shall not be any requirement for cancellation / filing of TDR, for refund of "e" tickets incase of cancellation of trains.
For the speedy payment of all Ticket Refund Claims (Coaching Refunds), Passengers are advised to -
• Obtain certificate from the TTE/Conductor in the following cases - Partially wait-listed e-tickets, less number of Passengers travelled, AC failure,
travel in lower class.
• This original certificate must be sent to GGM (IT), IRCTC Ltd., Internet ticketing centre, IRCA Building, State Entry Road, New Delhi - 110055 after filing on-line refund request for claiming refund. (For IRCTC "E" & "I" Ticket Passengers).
Fraudulent claimants for refund of fare on all types of
Railway Tickets are liable for legal action